Friday, September 10, 2010

Double Down!

Yesterday I tried a KFC Double Down "sandwich" - one word - delicious! This last Labor Day I spent most of the afternoon laying around, doing nothing and watching the Star Wars movies on cable and found myself bombarded by commercials for this unique culinary (or is that coronary) treat. By the time Return of the Jedi was over I knew that I had to get one! That's the power of advertising! Since yesterday was also my last day of jury duty that was more than enough excuse for me to stop and buy it. Even though it blew my diet completely! In case you're one of the few that haven't heard KFC's Double Down is made using 2 fried chicken fillets, a slice each of Monterey Jack and pepper jack cheese, two slices of bacon and a special sauce. Some brilliant KFC sandwich engineer got rid of that pesky bread that was just taking up room that could be filled with more meat! They should get a Nobel prize for this (if there was any justice in the world). If you should want a (slightly) healthier Double Down they also make a version using grilled chicken fillets but I really don't see the point of it. The Double Down is a purely American invention and I can't see them selling this in Europe or anywhere else for that matter. Basically this is for American Men, who are the only ones (in large numbers) that I could see buying and enjoying this. I do have some suggestions - 1) they need to put some red meat on this, at least 1 beef patty is definitely called for and would make this perfect. 2) I know that KFC's schtick is chicken so the beef probably isn't going to happen. In that case I would suggest that the Double Down be re-wrapped in bacon and then the entire thing refried (in batter) making one large fried doughy ball of chicken/cheesy/bacon goodness! Since I'm the one that suggested it I would expect that it be named after me, the wilson-memorial-coronary-heart-disease-special does have a certain ring to it, doesn't it?

1 comment:

James Nonte said...

Finally tried one today (at your suggestion). It was good although I think I can actually feel my heart muscle dying. Thanks