Tuesday, March 08, 2011

A question for the gunnies

For the last couple of years I have been slowly reorganizing by gun collection with the basic idea of "Two equals one and one equals none." I have been trying to restructure so I have a lot of similar guns, guns that share parts, magazines or accessories. The idea being that if one gun became damaged beyond repair it could still be used as parts for the others. Also the accessories like holsters, mags and the ammunition could still be utilized for other guns that I own.

The question supposes that you are in a situation where you could no longer acquire any more guns, parts or ammunition (or even reloading components) from what we Americans would consider "normal" venues (Gun shops - Gun shows - Mail order etc.). Whatever you might obtain would have to be under the table, there wouldn't be much of a selection available and it would definitely be potluck.

So here's the question - Would you prefer a selection of guns in common calibers that shared ammo and parts? Or would you want a wide variety of weapons in as many calibers as possible so that you could take advantage of anything that might come your way?

10 comments:

Z@X said...

I'm not much into doing my own repairs other than on 1911 pistols. I guess my hope is that I run out of ammo before the guns all break ;)

bluesun said...

Pick something common, so that you will have more opportunities for parts and such to come your way, and get multiples of it. Best of both worlds.

DaddyBear said...

I agree with Bluesun. Pick a manufacturer you like for each type (handgun, rifle, shotgun), and stick with them. Stay with common calibers, and have two of each kind. (12 gauge, 20 gauge, .30-06, .308, .357, 9mm).

Wilson said...

Gentlemen, you are echoing my own thoughts on the subject. The question came up with a friend of mine that thinks the opposite. It’s his idea to have a gun in every conceivable caliber so that whatever ammo he might find he already has something to shoot it.

Dan said...

The original plan was to pick a manufacturer (Beretta) in a caliber (9X19mm) and field a host of firearms around that...

Oddly, I now carry a Glock in .40 and that seems to be my caliber of choice, if the arms collection is any indicator.

James Nonte said...

I would agree with earlier comments. Pick out some guns with good reputations in a few common calibers (.308 .223 .45 9mm) and stick with them, then buy multiples of each as money allows.

Owen T said...

We might have the same friend. Mine owns a handgun in almost every caliber and which 1 gets shot depends on what deal he finds on ammo.

Jason said...

I am with the majority here - I try to stay with the basics and yes, I have an oddball or 2 (or 5) but those are just for fun.

Wilson said...

Most of the comments (and two e-mails) all share the same basic thought. Stick to a few basics and stock up on them. While I can see my friend’s point of view I just can’t agree with it.

Mr. Casey said...

I like redundancy to the point of sidearms matching carbine calibers. My now ex-wife and i had our own set-ups. Hers a Ruger PC4 .40 carbine and a matching P94 .40 semi-auto that was ideal as they shared not only the same caliber but the same mags. I used a Ruger GP100 4" stainless .357 and a matching Marlin 1894C lever gun in .38/.357 and that kept ammo down to three basic calibers and a half dozen bullet types.

Now I'm going back to 9mm for cost and availability and have picked the S&W M&P platform for my wife and I and perhaps matching 9mm AR style carbines. Add her reach out and touch someone Savage .308 and Bushmaster .308 on order, our Mossberg 12 gauge pump guns and maybe a DA .44 wheel gun and I'm a happy camper.