Friday, May 27, 2011

Gone Shooting - Shoot a Magnum day

Being off from work today I decided to go shooting. The forecast predicted a chance of rain but I went anyway. It has been nearly 2 months since I've gone (mostly because of rain) and I was going crazy, I was getting an itchy trigger finger and starting to twitch. The only gun I took with me today was my Smith & Wesson Model 27-7, I've had it over a year and it was in danger of becoming a Safe Queen if I didn't shoot it soon. When I got there everything was already wet and muddy so I didn't stay long. I did stay long enough to put 100 rounds through it using 50 rounds each of Fiocchi 142gr target loads and S&B 158gr soft points. The 27-7 was a special limited run Performance Center revolver, with a smooth, silky 10-pound double action and a crisp 3 ¾ pound single action trigger this gun obviously got some one on one with a S&W employee that knew what they were doing. All shooting today was at 10 yards (just because I didn't want to trample back and forth in the mud) using a Weaver stance and Shoot-N-C 5-inch targets. Normally I like to only fire my double action revolvers in double action. I don't want to get in the habit of firing single action on any DA revolver that I might carry. Today I continued firing (almost) all DA although I did put a couple cylinders through it in SA just to see what it was capable of this first time. Top group is the only one I shot (on paper) SA and the bottom is one of my better DA groups this morning, as usual trying to fire as fast as I could. I also took some shots (SA) at a 10-inch steel gong at 50 yards and hit it seven out of eight times. If I could only keep one .357 Magnum revolver (BLASPHEMY!) this would probably be it. A 4-inch barrel is a good compromise for the caliber and having eight rounds of .357 goodness available makes this Smith & Wesson extra special. Despite the rain and mud and generally miserable conditions I still had fun shooting today and discovered that I have yet another "keeper."

4 comments:

BP said...

Niiiiiiiiiiiice!

Bluer said...

Never heard of the 27-7. Was it a limited run? Nice looking sixgun!

Bluer said...

Sorry I meant eightgun!

Wilson said...

The 27-7 was a limited run that the Performance Center made in 2000. They made exactly 200 (100 each with 4 and 6 ½ inch barrels) with blue finish and round butt grip frame only. The 27-7 was the first 27 with the frame mounted firing pin and was the last 27 before “the lock” came out.