Monday, May 07, 2012

Question for the gunnies

This question is for those among us that carry concealed. Do you have an ankle holster and do you use it? I bet most gun owners that carry have one, or eventually will buy one, but never use it much. I have an ankle rig myself. It is well made, securely holds the gun and is comfortable for hours even with an all steel J-Frame. Still didn't use it unless I had no other choice, only when it was the last option left to me. The main issue for me was the draw. Not only was it slow but awkward too. You've got two options to draw from the ankle, either crouch down, which is how I did it, or you could raise your leg up to your hand while trying to balance on the other. You can call that one the tactical flamingo draw. Both ways were clumsy at best. The way I did it, crouching down and drawing, gave you better balance but seemed to set you up for a perfect head shot by a perpetrator. I never liked that feeling I had when drawing my gun like that. That's why I've owned an ankle holster eight years now and have maybe used it a few dozen times. How about you, do you own one, does it get used much?

7 comments:

bluesun said...

Considering I can't even wear most boots for the chafing and blisters because my ankles are so narrow, ankle carry has never even entered my mind. Though maybe I could use a couple of J-frames as filler in the boots and come out ahead?

Lokidude said...

I have one, but I very rarely wear it. It's pretty much a holster of very last resort.

And bluesun, try a longer, thicker sock to pad your ankles.

The Displaced Louisiana Guy said...

I don't own one. As a younger fellow who is on a tight budget, i tend to think long and hard before buying anything much over 20 dollars, and the drdrawbacks( read "draw") of an ankle holster don't outweigh the benefits. Further, i like making holsters, and i can't figure out a way to make one that would help mitigate the issues i would have carrying that way...

Just my 2 cents.

Anonymous said...

I'm unable to use an ankle holster. But, I used to know a guy who had a presentation technique published - I recounted this in my blog.

http://armedlaughing.wordpress.com/2011/03/24/the-maddock-step-down-presentation/

James R. Rummel said...

I own an ankle holster, and do use it occasionally when carrying on my waist is difficult. Such as when I have to wear a suit-and-tie, and my shirt has to stay tucked in.

Everyone talks about the disadvantages of ankle holsters, such as the extremely awkward draw and how it is hideously uncomfortable unless they limit themselves to really small handguns. These drawbacks are very real, and it is reasonable to bring them up in the discussion.

But few people seem to acknowledge the fact that ankle holsters are probably the best option available so far as concealment is concerned. They will work when no other design will do the job.

Wilson said...

"They will work when no other design will do the job." There are times when nothing else will work - that's the only reason I haven't tossed mine in the trash bin.

Sam L. said...

"The tactical flamingo draw"! What a great phrase!