Tuesday, May 11, 2010

So long Mr. Frazetta

Just read of the death Monday of fantasy artist Frank Frazetta, he was 82. I came to know his work starting in my pre-teen years thru the wonderful paperback covers that he did in the 1960's and 70's. Exotic creatures, heroic men, voluptuous women, it was like nothing I had ever seen before. Besides being a great artist Frank Frazetta was also a great commercial artist. His memorable covers for the fiction of Edgar Rice Burroughs helped entice many (including me) to buy those books and read about the exciting worlds that were contained within. Tarzan, the Mars series, and particularly for me the Pellucidar series opened up a world of reading like I never knew. Frazetta's covers gave us a fantastic glimpse into that exciting world and made you want more. So long Sir, you were one of a kind...

No comments: